Week of March 11th, 2019
Let’s start off this week’s CHIL with a couple pics from our Read Across America/Green Eggos (literally) and Ham Breakfast. Big thanks to PACS and our parent volunteers for making this event even more special:
CHS Student Spotlight
Jessica Laguna Birthday Box Fundraiser THANK YOU: Back in mid-November, CHS 10th grader Jessica Laguna chose as her confirmation project, A “Birthday Box” which provides kids who might not have the opportunity to have a birthday everything they need in one box! She set as her goal to raise $200 by April and each week , she baked a series of delicious treats which she sold at the break bar in a specially marked “Birthday Box” with a background sign and cool name for each treat of the week that she baked. We are proud to share that with your support and your teens love of fresh baked goodies, she has achieved her goal. Below is a heartfelt thank you from Jess:
Dear CHS Students, Parents, and Teachers:
I would like to thank the students, teachers, and parents at Craig High School for supporting my Confirmation project, the Birthday Box. The mission of this wonderful cause is to grant children-in-need the opportunity to enjoy a birthday celebration. They anonymously deliver a birthday-in-a-box, complete with cake, candles, decorations and a gift – so all children, regardless of their families’ financial status, have the chance to enjoy their special day.
Every Sunday from November to February, I baked with my mom and am proud to share that I was able to hit my goal and raised $202, which I will personally deliver to her charity's founder next week. I averaged $10 per week at our break bar and during our December parent/teacher conference week, raised a whopping $79! The most popular baked items seemed to be our crumb cake and lemon poppy bread, as well as rice krispie treats. I will receive my Confirmation in April. Thanks again to the CHS community for all of support.
CHS Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences: During the last week in March (W-Fr, March 27-29): CHS will be hosting our Winter-Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences. Take a look at the schedule below and choose a one-hour block in either the morning or afternoon where you will have the opportunity to visit classrooms for one-on-one conversations with your teen’s teachers. Days and Hour-Blocks to choose from are:
WEDS, March 27th
THURS, March 28th
FRI, March 29th
To schedule a conference, you can email Mrs. Maas at DMaas@craigschool.org or call (973)334-1234 to set up your hour block window. Also, let Mrs. Maas know if you would like to touch base with any of our CHS specialists (Mrs. Blount, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. DeSimone W and Fr ONLY, Mrs. Caricich TH AM ONLY) during your conference block. For those parents whose schedule doesn’t allow you to attend, you also have the option of a phone conference. Let Mrs. Maas know this and provide her with a phone number and time within our conference blocks that teachers can touch base.
From the Craig Admissions Office
CHS Summer Academy 2019 (July 8-August 2): Although we are technically still in winter, it is time to start thinking summer and more specifically, the CHS Summer Academy! The Craig High School Summer Academy is held at CHS during the month of July/early August and offers a personal and dynamic 4-week high school academic program that promotes and continues to build organizational, note-taking, and research skills. There are also opportunities for students to work on and in most cases, complete their summer reading assignments as well. Summer courses include Literature, Writing, Math, and Multi-Media Presentations.
The program is Monday through Thursdays, 8:50AM-12PM and starts early July (July 8) and runs through the first week in August (August 1). Parents who are interested must fill out a registration form (https://www.craigschool.org/
From the Craig Office of Development
Craig School Auction “One Giant Leap”-Teacher Features 2019 DEADLINE This Friday: The teacher feature deadline is closing in and spots are filling up fast. Below are the amazing and memorable experiences that await your teen. For forms or more info go to the school website (https://www.craigschool.org/
- Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty ($150): Rendezvous with Mr. Jacobs and Miss Bank in and visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Immigration Museum.
- Badgers Have Glass ($150): Take a trip to Glassworks in Morristown and create a one-of-a-kind piece glass art alongside Ms. Bank and Mrs. Bhakta.
- Just Beading Along ($125): Join Mrs. Chitticks, Mrs. Brown, and Mrs. Tartaglia for a beading experience at the Bead Place in Denville. Each participant will receive their bead kit!
- Craig and Chocolate ($100): Join Mrs. Gallagher for a chocolate workshop and Sweet Expressions in Denville. Students become mini-Willy Wonkas for an afternoon!
- East Coast Comic Con ($125): The biggest Comic Con in NJ is coming to the Meadowlands Expo Center and Mrs. Cap and Mrs. Tartgalia are so there! Comics, TV and Movie Stars, Panel Discussions. The East Coast Comic Con has it all.
- Still Water Kayaking ($125): Paddling on Indian Lake with life jackets, kayaks and experts Mr. Furlong and Mrs. Cozine – both veteran kayakers. After, relax on shore and enjoy pizza
- Tree Top Course/Zipline Adventure ($150): Join Mrs. Chitticks at the Turtle Back Zoo to take on the brand new Tree Top Adventure Course, a world class aerial obstacle course. The day will wrap up with a little zip lining!
- Girls Sleep Under ($100): Spend a fun filled evening cooking, crafting, movieing, laughing and having a blast as the young ladies of Craig take over our Mt. Lakes campus for some after school-early evening fun!
- CHS Fellas All-Nighter ($150): Swimming, dodge ball, basketball, and a high sugar menu are all on tap for what should be a historic evening of laughter, pg-13 fun, and CHS community building led by Dr. Cap and Mr. Furlong.
Monday, March 11th
Uptown Lunch/Common Clubs
Thursday, March 14th
Friday, March 15th
TEACHER-FEATURE forms DUE
Weds-Fri, March 27-29
12PM Close: Parent-Teacher Conferences/Trimester Exams
Wednesday, April 3rd
CHS/BHS College Fair (From 6:30-8:30PM BHS Main Gym)