Week of March 4th, 2019
Snow Tubing Stepping Out
Let's start off this week's CHIL with a few picks from last week's Snow Tubing Stepping Out to Camp Gaw in Mahwah!
CHS Student Spotlight
From the Craig School Development Office
Craig School Auction 2019 “One Giant Leap”: We will be taking ONE GIANT LEAP on SATURDAY, MAY 18th and it’s sure to be a BLAST! We’re getting excited for our biggest fundraising event of the year, the Craig School Spring Auction. There will be cocktails, dinner, a silent auction, raffle drawings and the much anticipated live auction and everyone can go home a winner…especially our students! Look for a formal invitation to follow, but mark your calendars now!
Craig School Auction “One Giant Leap”-Teacher Features 2019: Thanks to the PACS, we have a found a way for you to show your support for the Craig School while providing an amazing and memorable experience for your teen. Last week, you should have received in the mail a list of this year’s 2019 TEACHER FEATURES opportunities. Here are the potential adventures awaiting the students of CHS:
- Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty ($150): Rendezvous with Mr. Jacobs and Miss Bank in and visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island National Immigration Museum.
- Badgers Have Glass ($150): Take a trip to Glassworks in Morristown and create a one-of-a-kind piece glass art alongside Ms. Bank and Mrs. Bhakta.
- Just Beading Along ($125): Join Mrs. Chitticks, Mrs. Brown, and Mrs. Tartaglia for a beading experience at the Bead Place in Denville. Each participant will receive their bead kit!
- Craig and Chololate ($100): Join Mrs. Gallagher for a chocolate workshop and Sweet Expressions in Denville. Students become mini-Willy Wonkas for an afternoon!
- East Coast Comic Con ($125): The biggest Comic Con in NJ is coming to the Meadowlands Expo Center and Mrs. Cap and Mrs. Tartgalia are so there! Comics, TV and Movie Stars, Panel Discussions. The East Coast Comic Con has it all.
- Still Water Kayaking ($125): Paddling on Indian Lake with life jackets, kayaks and experts Mr. Furlong and Mrs. Cozine – both veteran kayakers. After, relax on shore and enjoy pizza
- Tree Top Course/Zipline Adventure ($150): Join Mrs. Chitticks at the Turtle Back Zoo to take on the brand new Tree Top Adventure Course, a world class aerial obstacle course. The day will wrap up with a little zip lining!
- Girls Sleep Under ($100): Spend a fun filled evening cooking, crafting, movieing, laughing and having a blast as the young ladies of Craig take over our Mt. Lakes campus for some after school-early evening fun!
- CHS Fellas All-Nighter ($150): Swimming, dodge ball, basketball, and a high sugar menu are all on tap for what should be a historic evening of laughter, pg-13 fun, and CHS community building led by Dr. Cap and Mr. Furlong.
For forms or more info go to the school website (https://www.craigschool.org/
Chili Throwdown 2019 Results Show: Last weekend marked the return of the Craig School Chili Throwdown! There were 18 chili’s in this year’s contest and the Craig High School was well represented. We want to thank the following CHS families for making CHS look and taste so good: the Jahns/Christerns, the Soutars, the Frickes, the Sammons, the Borner du Canes, the Veals (Winners of the Pepto Award), the McHughs, the Mullins, and the Acciaritos (Winners of the Question Mark Award).
We also would like to acknowledge our CHS Student Community Service team who helped set up, break down, and ate a lot of chili in between: James Conway (10th), Jarod Christern (10th), Henry Borner du Cane (10th), Giacomo Velocci (9th), and Armanda Sammon (9th). Super Big Kudos to our two student chili chefs for sharing their family chili recipes: Abbey Mullin (11th) and Charlotte Fricke (11th)!
CHS Sports Desk
Badger Bowling wraps Up 2019 Campaign: Last week, the Badger Bowling Intramural League wrapped up its winter season with their annual Tournament of Champions. “The Turkey Trotters” made up of the dynamic duo of sophomores, Henry Borner du Cane and James Conway, took this year’s tournament title by narrowly beating out the “Livingston Strikers” (Senior, David Altman and Junior, Jake Scherr). The high game for the day was bowled by Henry Borner du Cane and his customized magic ball which together set the tournament bar at 126. A big thanks to our CHS Bowling Coaches, Mrs. Maas and Mrs. Chitticks for a competitive, informative, and fun-filled season.
“Los Tejones” Makes CHS History at La Copa 2019: CHS pulled together a soccer team from across the grades to become “Los Tejones” and represent CHS in this year’s BHS Copa, an annual after school soccer tournament that pits 10 teams in round robin style tournament. Well, not only did they represent, they made a little CHS history as they pulled off CHS's first ever Copa victory. In their four tournament games, "Los Tejones" went 1-1-2 and just missed the playoffs, placing third in their bracket. The Badgers were led in scoring by freshman Aidan Marshall and sophomore Gianfranco Bardales. The defense was anchored by co-captain David Altman, junior Jacob Scheer, sophomore Jeremy Valentin, freshman Jules Christern, sophomores Henry Borner Du Cane, and sophomore Grady Fitzsimons who along with our awesome Goal Keeper, co-captain Jarod Christern, kept the scoring to 4 total goals in 4 games. Way to go "Tejones"!
National Read Across America Spirit Week Starts on Monday: This week, CHS will be joining schools around the country to celebrate National Read Across America, an across the country celebration of reading and the birthday of Dr. Seuss. It all kicks off this Monday with a “Cat in the Hat” Hat Day followed by the ever-popular Pajama Day on Tuesday where will dine on “Green Eggos and Ham” and put in some uninterrupted, schoolwide free reading time during the school day.
Craig Board of Trustees Coffee and Info Session on Monday, March 5th: Please join Board of Trustee member, Andrea Lustig, Chair of the Committee on Trustees and other members of the Board along for a coffee and to talk about the role of the Craig Board of Trustees this Tuesday, March 5 at 8:15AM in the Cafeteria on the Lower and Middle School campus in Mountain Lakes.
Monday, March 4th
Read Across America Spirit Day:” Cat in the Hat” Day
Uptown Lunch/Common Clubs
Tuesday, March 5th
Read Across America Spirit Day: “Pajama Day”/Green Eggos and Ham Breakfast
Wednesday, March 6th
CHS Open House 9AM
Hoops Practice (3-5PM, Mt. Lakes)
Friday, March 8th
11th 12th Grade Trip to County College of Morris
Weds-Fri, March 27-29
12PM Close: Parent-Teacher Conferences/Trimester Exams